THE APPLICATION OF INTERACTIVE METHODS OF ESP TEACHING IN A HIGHER EDUCATIONAL ESTABLISHMENT
The article is dedicated to the application of interactive methods of teaching in ESP classroom. The author states that social and economic changes, globalisation in all the areas of international cooperation have influenced the emergence of new professions which need broad-minded and flexible employees able to adapt to the new requirements appearing at a workplace. It is stressed that the knowledge of a foreign language is a key to success in any career nowadays and makes a candidate a competitive professional. The researcher emphasises the fact that teaching an ESP course in a higher educational establishment motivates teachers to look for and select the most relevant and appropriate learning materials to keep abreast of the times. Interactive methods presuppose cooperation and mutual responsibility for achieving an expected result. The author suggests that interactive methodology makes students work hard to form the competence necessary for success in their professional career and flexibility in the present-day conditions as well as their ability to use initiative when needed. The main characteristic of this methodology is the presence of a dialogue, exchange of viewpoints as well as for and against arguments while discussing or debating. Brainstorming as a way of making a group of people all think about something at the same time with a view to solving a problem or generating new ideas has been singled out by the author. Its main principle is not to critisise or judge others no matter how ridiculous or absurd the ideas may sound. The distribution of secretarial roles among students to keep records of the suggested ideas is another element of a brainstorm. In a role-play, learners are expected to simulate true-to-life professional situations playing, for instance, tour operators and customers or hotel receptionists and hotel guests being still in class, and create their own reality. The researcher stresses the importance of a presentation in ESP classroom as a method making students overcome their emotional barriers, form their foreign language communicative competence as well develop their motivation to perform efficiently and sound more persuasive.
2. Bulekbayeva L.A. Innovative and interactive methods of teaching foreign language. Kazakh State Women’s Teacher Training University. Kazakhstan. Created by FolderMill/www/foldermill.com.
3. David Cotton, David Falvey, Simon Kent. Market Leader, intermediate, 3rd edition. Business English. Course book. Pearson Education Limited, 2010.
4. Frances Eales, Steve Oakes. Speakout, upper intermediate. Student’s book. Pearson Education limited, 2011.
5. Gorbanyova O. Interactive technologies in teaching a foreign language at higher educational establishment. International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences. 2016. № 71. P. 54–59. URL: https://doi.org/10.18052/www.scipress.com/ILSHS.71.54.
6. Kovάcs G. (2014). Role-plays in teaching English for specific purposes. 10th Conference on British and American Studies – Crossing Boundaries – Approaches to the Contemporary Multicultural Discourse. Retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/35988488/ROLEPLAYS_IN_TEACHING_ENGLISH_FOR_SPECIFIC_PURPOSES, 01.08.2021.
7. Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary. A S Hornby New 8th Edition. Oxford University Press. 2010.
8. Walker R., Harding K. Tourism 1. Oxford English for careers. Student’s book. Oxford University Press. 2011. [in English].
9. Radosavlevikj N., Hajrullai H. (2019). Using video presentations in ESP classes (a study conducted at the language centre Skopje, SEEU). Review Volume 14 Issue 1, pp. 178–195. DOI: 10.2478/seeur-2019-0010 SEEU.
10. Unina N., Bearing P. (2016). Brainstorming as a Way to Approach Student-Centered Learning in the ESL Classroom. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 224. 6th International Research Symposium in Service Management, IRSSM-6 2015, 11–15 August 2015. PP. 605–612.
11. WCO Framework of Principles and Practices on Customs Professionalism. World Customs Organisation. URL: https://clikc.wcoomd.org/pluginfile.php/30120/mod_label/intro/Section%20III_EN.pdf. 31.07.2021.