WAYS TO IMPROVE STUDENTS’ MOTIVATION WHILE MASTERING ENGLISH LANGUAGE AT VOLODYMYR DAHL EAST UKRAINIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY DURING DISTANCE LEARNING
Different points of view on the importance of motivation in the learning process are presented. The types of motivation are considered, their relationship with the learning process is determined. Theoretical and experimental studies of the problem of motivation show that motivation has a decisive role in teaching a foreign language. The analysis was performed in written survey on different motives for learning English at VDEUNU during distant learning. The study included 604 participants. The age of students, who studied to gain the first higher education, was between 17 and 20. The research was carried out during the period distant learning due to the quarantine measures of COVID-19. The study is based on a contemporary scientific publications presented international researchers have focused on the problems on motivation in learning English during quarantine. The problems and potential ways of improving students` English language proficiency in the given context are identified. Based on the results, it was found that when learning English, student`s internal motives prevail over external ones. It is found that the motives, interests and inclinations,student`s social status, as well as different situations are interdependent and constitute a harmonious unity of personality. Ways to increase motivation in learning English during distance learning on the example of Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University students are identified. It was discovered that 25% of respondents study English in order to get a credit, other 32% study English to pass External Independent Evaluation to get admission to Master`s degree levels, 16% of respondents believe that the motive for finding a prestigious job is important and career growth, 9% of students learn English to complete tasks, about 6% put forward the motive of understanding scientific texts, 3% believe that learning a foreign language is necessary in order to exchange information between peers, friends, acquaintances, 2% of students see the goal of learning a language to continue studying abroad; 2% – English is a compulsory subject in the university, 2% – students have a special interest in learning foreign languages.
2. Bielovetska L.E. (2020) External independent evaluation in English as a criterion for admission to master`s degree programs in Ukraine: problems and perspectives. Spirituality of a Personality: Theory, Methodology and Practice: collection scientific papers / Editor-in-chief Galyna P. Shevchenko. Issue 1 (94). Sievierodonetsk: Publishing House of the Volodymyr Dahl East Ukrainian National University. P. 39–50 (eng)
3. Gardner R.C. (2001) Language Learning Motivation: The Student, the Teacher, and the Researcher. Texas Papers in Foreign Language Education.]. URL: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED464495.pdf (date of appeal: 21.06.2020) (eng).
4. Jakobson P.M. (1969) Psihologicheskie problemy motivacii v povedenii cheloveka [Psychological problems of motivation in human behavior] Moscow: Prosvewenie. 317 P. (rus)
5. Leont’ev A.N. (1983) Izbrannye psihologicheskie proizvedenija [Selected psychological works] V 2 t. M. Pedagogika.T. 2. 320 P. (rus)
6. MON stvorilo koncepciyu rozvitku anglijskoyi v universitetah u dodatku riven B1 obovyazkova umova vstupu B2 vipusku vikladannya profilnih disciplin-inozemnoyu ta movni skriningi [Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine has created the concept of development of English at universities in the application level B1 аs a prerequisite for entry, B2 of the issue of teaching foreign disciplines and language screenings]. URL: https://mon.gov.ua/ua/news/mon-stvorilo-koncepciyu-rozvitku-anglijskoyi-v-universitetah-u-dodatku-riven-v1-obovyazkova-umova-vstupu-v2-vipusku-vikladannya-profilnih-disciplin-inozemnoyu-ta-movni-skriningi. (date of appeal: 15.08.2020) (ukr).
7. Rubinshtejn S.L. Osnovy obshej psihologii [Basics of general psychology] Moscow : Uchpedgiz. 1946. 704 p. (rus)
8. Standards Ukraine. (2013). The National Education Development Strategy in Ukraine for the period up to 2021 [The Decree of the President of Ukraine, 344, dated by 25 June 2013]. URL: http://www.president.gov.ua/documents/15828.html (date of appeal:1.07.2020) (eng).
9. Uznadze D.N. (1966) Psihologicheskie issledovanija. [Psychological research] Moscow : Nauka. P. 404–407. (rus)
10. Zhu Quan (2014). Motivation for a second or foreign language learning. IFSRAP 2013 – The First International Forum on Studies of Rural Areas and Peasants. SHS Web of Conferences Volume 6, DOI: 10.1051/shsconf/20140604004 URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270837339_Motivation_for_a_Second_or_Foreign_Language_Learning (date of appeal:24.08.2020) (eng).