THE SUBSPHERE “UNIVERSUM” – A CONCEPTUAL FIELD OF THE POLITICAL METAPHOR IN THE UKRAINIAN AND ENGLISH
The article is devoted to the study of the subsphere “Universum” as a conceptual field of political metaphor on the basis of the Ukrainian and English languages. The conceptual fields in the political metaphor on the basis of journalistic discourse of the Ukrainian and English languages are filled with cultural and universal specifics, where the person models a political reality. The objective spatial reality of the subsphere “Universum” includes metaphors for the designation of objects and characteristics of space and movement, movement in space, perception of color, sound, and scent, is likened to objects and subjects of political processes. The presented subsphere includes and describes the phenomena of political life in images that cover the parameters of the world, they are universal and can characterize both human activity. The specific features of the subsphere “Universum” as a conceptual field of a political metaphor are its heterogeneity, since it includes and describes the phenomena of political life in images that encompass the parameters of the surrounding world of the human. The subsphere “Universum” in the Ukrainian and English languages includes the fundamental donor conceptual sphere “Outworld”. The phenomena of the external world are included into this sphere, they exist beyond the will of the person, on which he can influence indirectly. Thus, the subsphere “Universum” consists of two conceptual fields: “Space and movement” and “Perception of surrounding reality”. The semantic filling of these conceptual fields is divided into frames in both languages of the given research. The investigation’s degree of study and the lingvo-cognitive features of the subsphere “Universum” are discovered. The frequency of using the metaphors in the political discourse of the presented subsphere and connotations’ correlation of the subsphere “Universum” is analyzed and the comparative analysis of the obtained results on the material of both languages of the research is given.
2. Жулавська О.О. Актуалізація концепту ТЕРОРИЗМ у сучасному британському газетному дискурсі : автореф. дис на здобуття наук. ступеня канд. філол. наук: 10.01.08. Харків, 2011. 20 с.
3. Чадюк О.М. Метафора у сфері сучасної української політичної комунікації : дис. на здобуття наук. ступ. канд. філол. наук : 10.02.01. Київ, 2005. 230 с.
4. Bratož S. Metaphors in Political Discourse from a Cross-Cultural Perspective. IJEMS. Volume 7, 2014. № 1. P. 3–23.
5. Cienki A. The Application of Conceptual Metaphor Theory to Political Discourse: Methodological Questions and Some Possibile Solutions. In Political Language and Metaphor, edited by T. Carver and J. Pikalo, New York : Routledge. 2008. Р. 241–56.
6. Figar V. Analysis of Conceptual Metaphors in the Political Discourse of Daily Newspapers: Structure, Function, and Emotional Appeal (MA Thesis). University of Nis, Faculty of Philosophy, English Department. 2013. 160 р.
7. Musolff A. Metaphor scenarios in public discourse. Metaphor and Symbol, 2006. 21(1). P. 23–38.
8. English Oxford Living Dictionaries. URL : https://en.oxforddictionaries.com (дата звернення: 18.03.2016).