STYLISTIC FEATURES OF INFANT POETRY TEXTS

  • A. O. Kuzmenko
  • O. V. Voshchevska
Keywords: English infant text, preschool-aged child’s speech, stylistics, figures of addition, figures of substitution

Abstract

The article deals with the linguistic and stylistic features of the Englishlanguage infant poetry texts (for preschool-aged children). The place and role of prevalent stylistic figures are determined. The object of the research is the English-language infant poetic texts, and the subject is their linguistic and stylistic specifics. The purpose of the study is to characterize the linguistic and stylistic colouring of preschool-aged children’s speech at the lexical level in the English-language infant poetic texts. The stylistic division of the English-language infant texts vocabulary is quite diverse: common, specific, everyday, emotional and spatial vocabulary. The artistry of such texts differs in the extensive use of expressive, emotionally depicted elements of speech. Common vocabulary includes words related to everyday life, denoting vital concepts: plants, animals, natural phenomena, qualities, feelings, and so on. Household vocabulary includes tokens related to food, farming, city life, nature and fairy tales. Emotional vocabulary is manifested on the morpheme level by the affixal type, on the lexical by the infantile creative words, the use of words with expressive meaning, on the syntactic by the manifestation of emotions at the level of phrases, sentences or expressions. Common-speech vocabulary is used in terms of ease and everyday life. It has been found that the dominant figures are figures of addition, which account for 57%, and the rest are the figures of substitution (43%). Figures of addition in infantile poetic texts for preschoolers include epithets, amplification and antithesis, while figures of substitution include personification, comparison and metaphor. The figures of addition in English-language infant poetic texts give picturesqueness to objects and phenomena, strengthening their characteristics, emphasizing the beauty of the ordinary things. They increase the expressiveness, interest, daydreaming, extraordinary things in the mind of a preschool-aged child. The use of substitution figures, which are the most importantly harmonious stylistic means leads to musicality, harmony of sound. The tendency to vivid imagery excites to wrap thoughts in new, expressive speech shells, using words in an unusual sense. Thus, English-language infant poetic texts are saturated with charm, fabulousness, surrealism due to the use of these stylistic means.

References

1. Атрошенко Г.І. Лінгвостилістика української поезії для дітей : автореф. дис. … канд. філол. наук : спец. 10.02.01. «Українська мова». Запоріжжя: ЗНУ, 2005. 25 с.
2. Брандес М.П. Стилистика текста. Теоретический курс. Москва : Прогресс-Традиция; ИНФРА-М, 2004. 416 с.
3. Гром’як Р.Т. Літературознавчий словник-довідник. Київ : Академія, 2007. 752 с.
4. Копнина Г.А. Конвергенция стилистических фигур в современном русском литературном языке (на материале художественных и газетно-публицистических текстов) : дис. … канд. филол. наук : 10.02.01. «Русский язык». Красноярск, 2001. 289 с.
5. Нелюбин Л.Л. Лингвостилистика современного английского. Москва : Флинга; Наука, 2007. 128 с.
6. Немировская А.В. Метафора турецкого художественного текста как объект перевода. Вестник ИГЛУ. Иркутск : ИГЛУ, 2009. С. 57–62.
7. Павшук А.В. Языковая природа и функции эпитета в художественном тексте (на материале романа Асорина «Воля») : автореф. дис…канд. филол. наук 10.02.05 «Романские языки». Москва, 2007. 21 с.
8. Скребнев Ю.М. Основы стилистики английского языка. Москва : Астрель, 2003. 221 с.
9. Толочин И.В. Метафора интертекст англоязычной поэзии: лингвистический аспект. Санкт-Петербург : CПбУ, 1996. 96 c.
10. Черноусова О.Н. Функционирование образных сравнений в художественном тексте и речи диалектоносителей. Вестн. Волгогр. гос. ун-та. Сер. 2. Языкознание. Волгоград : ЛогГУ, 2012. № 1(15). С. 219–223.
11. Briggs R. Mother Goose treasury. N.Y. : Puffin, 2012. 161 p.
12. Burke M. Emotion in Stylistics. Encyclopaedia of Language and Linguistics, 2nd Edn. Amsterdam : Elsevier, 2006. P. 127–129.
13. Deignan A. Metaphor, genre and recontextualization. Metaphor and Symbol. L. : 2013. P. 41–59.
14. Fadaee E. Symbols, metaphors and similes in literature: A case study of “Animal Farm”. Journal of English and Literature. L. : Academic Jpurnals, 2011. Vol. 2(2). P. 19–27.
15. Lakoff G. Metaphors we live by. L. : The university of Chicago press, 2003. 310 p.
16. Summers D. Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. L. : Pearson Longman, 2006. P. 1949.
Published
2020-12-21
How to Cite
Kuzmenko, A. O., & Voshchevska, O. V. (2020). STYLISTIC FEATURES OF INFANT POETRY TEXTS. Bulletin of Zaporizhzhia National University. Philological Sciences, 1(1), 117-123. https://doi.org/10.26661/2414-9594-2020-1-1-17