CURRENT STATE OF TOURISM BUSINESS IN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES AND ITS TRENDS
The article analyzes the impact of the tourism sector in European countries such as Malta, Croatia, Iceland, Switzerland and Cyprus. The key indicators of inbound tourism are considered: direct contribution to employment, the share of tourism services of countries in the structure of total exports, in the export of services specifically, tourist expenses inside countries. The most dependent on inbound tourism countries are characterized. The list of negative consequences they get during coronavirus pandemic are researched. The reaction of the tourism market to the active spread of coronavirus infection around the world has been investigated. The sequence of actions of the authorities to reduce the sickness within the country is also analyzed: in particular, the closure of borders and stopping of tourist flows inside countries. The main niches of the tourism business, which suffer the greatest losses, are highlighted. The help from the authorities, which is provided to airlines, hotels, travel agencies and other entrepreneurs, which are forced to stop their activities during quarantine, is also described. It is noted, that small economies of European countries are mostly excessively dependent on one economic sphere in the international market. Such dependence puts national economies at great risks of influence from outside, as well as difficulties in managing it during crisis periods. The ways to overcome the problem of excessive dependence are proposed by authors.
2. Delivorias, A. & Scholz, N. (2020). Economic impact of epidemics and pandemics. Retrieved from https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2020/646195/EPRS_BRI(2020)646195_EN.pdf [in English].
3. Sait Knoema Data. Mizhnarodnyi turyzm v vidsotkakh vid zahalnoho eksportu [Site of Knoema Data. International tourism, income (% of total exports)]. Retrieved from https://knoema.ru/atlas/topics/Туризм/Ключевые–показатели–туризма/ [in Russian].
4. Sait Knoema Data. Priamyi vklad turyzmu v zainiatist, realnyi rist v vidsotkakh [Site of Knoema Data. Tourism, direct contribution to employment, real growth rate (%)]. Retrieved from https://knoema.ru/atlas/topics/Туризм/Прямой–вклад–туризма–в–занятость/ [in Russian].
5. Sait Knoema Data. Dani Vsesvitnoi rady podorozhei ta turyzmu [Site of Knoema Data. World Travel and Tourism Council Data]. Retrieved from https://knoema.ru/WTTC2019/world–travel–and–tourism–council–data [in Russian].
6. Eksperty pohirshyly prohnoz vtrat aviakompanii cherez koronavirus [Experts worsen forecast for airline losses due to the coronavirus]. Retrieved from https://www.rbc.ru/business/24/03/2020/5e7a58119a794780eb2a1dbd [in Russian].
7. Koronavirus na Kipri: novyny 28 bereznia [Herald of Cyprus. Coronavirus in Cyprus: March 28 news]. Retrieved from https://vkcyprus.com/coronavirus/11022-koronavirus-na-kipre-novosti-28-marta [in Russian].
8. Novyny Shveitsarii. Shveitsariia ta pandemiia koronavirusu, aktualna sytuatsiia [Switzerland news. Switzerland and the coronavirus pandemic: current situation]. Retrieved from https://www.swissinfo.ch/rus/ [in Russian].